Re: NUMA scheduler (was: 2.5 merge candidate list 1.5)

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 19:31:50 EST

OK, so I'm trying to read your patch 1, fairly unsucessfully
(seems to be a lot more complex that Michael's).

Can you explain pool_lock? It does actually seem to work, but
it's rather confusing ....

build_pools() has a comment above it saying:

+/*
+ * Call pooldata_lock() before calling this function and
+ * pooldata_unlock() after!
+ */

But then you promptly call pooldata_lock inside build_pools
anyway ... looks like it's just a naff comment, but doesn't
help much.

Leaving aside the acknowledged mind-boggling ugliness of
pooldata_lock(), what exactly is this lock protecting, and when?
The only thing that actually calls pooldata_lock is build_pools,
right? And the only other thing that looks at it is sched_balance_exec
via pooldata_is_locked ... can that happen before build_pools
(seems like you're in deep trouble if it does anyway, as it'll
just block). If you really still need to do this, RCU is now
in the kernel ;-) If not, can we just chuck all that stuff?

M.