Re: Kswapd madness in 2.4 kernels

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 23:32:01 EST

James Cleverdon wrote:

> Andrea_Archangeli-inode_highmem_imbalance.patch Type: text/x-diff

That's in -aa kernels, is correct and is needed.

> Andrew_Morton-2.4_VM_sucks._Again.patch Type: text/x-diff

hmm. Someone seems to have renamed my nuke-buffers patch ;)

My main concern is that this was a real quickie; it does a very
aggressive takedown of buffer_heads. Andrea's kernels contain a
patch which takes a very different approach. See
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.20pre8aa2/05_vm_16_active_free_zone_bhs-1

I don't think anyone has tried that patch in isolation though...

If nuke-buffers passes testing and doesn't impact performance then
fine. A more cautious approach would be to use the active_free_zone_bhs
patch. If that proves inadequate then add in the "read" part of nuke-buffers.
That means dropping the fs/buffer.c part.