Re: [patch] Workqueue Abstraction, 2.5.40-H7

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai-germaschewski@uiowa.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 12:55:25 EST

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> 2) driver fixes.
>
> i have converted almost every affected driver to the new framework. This
> cleaned up tons of code. I also fixed a number of drivers that were still
> using BHs (these drivers did not compile in 2.5.40).

I'm possibly messing things up here, but doesn't it generally make more
sense to convert tq_immediate users to tasklets instead of work queues?

tq_immediate users do not need process context, and one use I'm familiar
with is basically doing bottom half interrupt processing, e.g. in lots of
places in the ISDN code. Introducing a context switch for no obvious gain
there seems rather pointless to me?

The same may be true for the tq_timer users as well?

--Kai