Re: Funding GPL projects or funding the GPL?

From: Federico Ferreres (fferreres@ojf.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:43:14 EST

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 17:29, Jon Portnoy wrote:
> If you want to donate money to a project(s), I'm sure that a simple email
> to the maintainer(s) of that project would get you an address to send such
> a donation to.

Some people don't want to be only ones donating, some others just will
just wait & see if somebody elses money saves the project. Also, your
money may not be enough to fund that project and you are left with no
improvements. Or you could be overfunding the project (never seen this
happen though). You have no warranties where and how the money would be
usued.

> Myself, I feel that donation should be optional, besides
> the obvious practical difficulties with something like this (e.g., the
> task of keeping track of who has paid

A fundation focusing on this issue alone would be the best solution for
solving this "fragmentation" problem.

> not to mention the necessary
> restrictions on downloading at various sites, not to mention the fact that
> people will end up just getting source and posting it for everyone, not to
> mention...)

No problem here really. No restricted downloads, not anti-piracy code.
No added burdens. No BSA. Just the legal obligation to pay $10 a year.
If you don't pay, nobody will come looking for you, but at least you'll
know you owe somebody real money.

Federico