Re: Oddities with HighPoint HPT374, 2.4.19-pre10-ac2

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 07:25:15 EST

The oddities are the fact I have not finished creating the channel and
drive set inner-lock sequence code :-/ If you run it in master mode only
one drive per channel, it is perfectly safe. The problem happens the
instant you pair drives on the channels. I have not figured out the
correct interrupt sequence ordering and blocking recipe.

The issue stands to deal with double hwgroups locking and having more than
two channels to the effective HBA.

Instead of

HPT374
  ide4
  ide5
HPT374
  ide6
  ide7

It has to evlolve to

HPT374
  ide4p
  ide4s
  ide5p
  ide5s

This means extened minor on the second half of each major must be created.
There is not enough sane bandwith in the driver, nor would anybody take
such an exotic solution.

Sorry,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group