Re: CPU load

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 12:49:29 EST

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 09:54, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> Examine the avenrun array declared in kernel/timer.c in a manner similar
> to how loadavg_read_proc() in fs/proc/proc_misc.c does.

David, I wanted to add that we formalized the locking rules on
avenrun[3] a couple kernel revisions ago.

In 2.4, I believe it is implicitly assumed you will do a cli() before
accessing the data (if you want all 3 values to be in sync you need the
read to be safe).

In 2.5, grab a read_lock on xtime_lock and go at it.

        Robert Love