Can't boot from /dev/md0 (RAID-1)

From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk (roy@karlsbakk.net)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 07:19:26 EST

hi

I hope this is not OT - didn't find any LILO mailing list. after trying
virtually everything - can anyone help me with a tip?

Running 2.4.19-pre10-ac2, RedHat 7.3 (LILO version 21.4-4), I have root on
/dev/md0 on RAID-1 on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1. I've tried the howto at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-3.html#ss3.1, but it still
doesn't help me. lilo just tells me "L 99 99 99 99 ..." some half a page, and
then stops.I'm trying. All the time it prints this, it seems to be searching
the floppy for some reason.

The lilo.conf suggested by the above HOWTO, is this

# lilo.conf.hda - primary ide master
disk=/dev/md0
bios=0x80
sectors=63
heads=16
cylinders=39770
partition=/dev/md1
start=63
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b

image=/boot/bzImage
        root=/dev/md0
        read-only
        label=LinuxRaid

sector/head/cylinder is corrected to the actual data reported from 'fdisk
-ul'.

When trying to set. boot=/dev/hdm (which is the first drive on the on-board
chipset), lilo installs, and I get LI instead of L 99 99 ... Same result with
LBA32.

I also have another box with Linux, running SuSE 7.2 (LILO version 21.7-5)
with RAID-1 on two drives. Here everything works fine

thanks for all help

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester

Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working when you open Windows.