Re: 2.5.6-pre3 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

From: Voluspa (voluspa@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 11:29:46 EST

PS. I've got a rather good grip of my Linux From Scratch system - with a BSD style init for even better control - and only load modules for one NIC and ALSA stuff here. Never have had file systems modulari(z)(s)ed DS.

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:09:04 -0500 (EST)
Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:

> It boots fine from ext2 on IDE here. Do you have any oddities in
> .config? (e.g. something silly enabled - CONFIG_PREEMPT, etc.)

Silly :-) A P166 needs every boost possible. Yes, I have preempt enabled. And yes, you are right on the mark. Compiling without preempt the booting of 2.5.6-pre3 runs flawlessly. And after a few tests no file corruption visible. But 2.5.6-pre2 + preempt-UP-bug-patch worked like a charm. So there's something else involved, it seems.

During the compilation I happened to get a brief glimpse of a warning in ide.c Don't know C so can't evaluate its severity. Went something like this: 'In function choose_drive Warning: distinkt pointer lacks a cast'.

> .config might be really useful. Or not - it may boil down to checking

I judge it a moot point to dump all those lines now. If I'm in err, nudge me.

Thanks for the discussion.
MJ