Re: 2.5.6-pre3 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 06:09:04 EST

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Voluspa wrote:

> only show enforced differences, I could boot into 2.5.6-pre2 tonight (about 6 hours from now) and dump whatever info you need - if it is deemed necessary. Otherwise I'll just enjoy the -ac series until a -preX turns up that is bootable.

Very interesting...

It boots fine from ext2 on IDE here. Do you have any oddities in
.config? (e.g. something silly enabled - CONFIG_PREEMPT, etc.)

Bug looks very odd. -EFAULT from mount(2) done by a thread that
runs with equivalent of set_fs(KERNEL_DS)...

.config might be really useful. Or not - it may boil down to checking
which path it actually takes and where does -EFAULT come from.