Re: ext3 and undeletion

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 17:07:12 EST

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi
> > > All the deleted files, with the correct path(s), are now in the
> > > top directory file the file-system ../lost+found directory. They
> > > are still owned by the original user, still subject to the same
> > > quota.
> >
> > And what about:
> >
> > - Luser rm's "foo.c"
> > - Luser starts working on new version of "foo.c"
> > - Luser recognizes, that the old version was better
> > - Luser rm's new "foo.c"
> > - Luser tries to unrm the old "foo.c" -> *bang*
> >
> > Trust me, there /will/ be a luser who tries to do it this way. If
> > teaching lusers were enough, you'd have no need for an unrm at all.
>
> You don't consider me a luser, right?

Nope.

Some newbees think that Windoze 'send-to-the-wastebasket' is a kernel-
level "safe-delete". It's just some ^&$)##*@*) program that slows most
of us down.

Even Windows/Professional/2000 (NT) developers knew that it was
garbage. If you've figured out how to get to the CMD prompt, just
type:

cd \
rm -r *.*
 | | |______ They still have dots
 | |__________ Yes, even "folders" <coff, coff>
 |_____________ What do you expect for a stolen OS? Yes, `rm` instead of
                del, following the Unix pathname tradition.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.18 on an i686 machine (799.53 BogoMips).

        Bill Gates? Who?