Re: sis_malloc / sis_free

From: Christoph Pittracher (pitt@gmx.at)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 20:47:48 EST

Hello!

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 02:26, Jean Paul Sartre wrote:
> I was grepping through the SIS malloc/free code and I saw DRM
> 'shares' code with the fb code. What if I have SIS framebuffer
> disabled and SIS DRM code enabled? In 2.4.18-rc2, the SIS DRM code
> does not compile from the lack of sis_malloc and sis_free function.

Yes, the sisfb/drm code has some design lacks.
Another lack is the necessary memory offset between framebuffer/drm and
the X driver (see http://www.webit.at/~twinny/linuxsis630.shtml for
details).

> I would suggest 'duplicating' this code (yes, I *do* hate
> duplicating codes) or making that memory allocation code *really*
> shared between both modules (or we won't be able to successfully
> compile it, since the DRM code is on drivers/char/drm and the FB code
> is on drivers/video/sis/sis_main.c).

I don't think that it would be a problem to duplicate the code. the
sis_malloc / sis_free functions seems quite stable. I don't think that
there will be big updates for this code.

> If the suggestion of 'duplicating' code (argh) is reasonable
> enough (for they are really different codes) I can work and submit a
> patch.

Thomas Winischhofer <tw@webit.com> is working on that SiS stuff for
about 2 months. I think it would be best if you contact him and ask
what he thinks about that. I know that he said it would be a good idea
to seperate the sisfb and sis_drm code but he doesn't have enough time
to do it...

regards,
Christoph