Re: Alpha update for 2.5.3

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 19:59:49 EST

I guess I should have posted my incomplete patches instead of
making you duplicate effort.

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:13:29PM +0300, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> - new block layer
> minor changes here - new BIO_VMERGE_BOUNDARY macro,
> which hints to BIO that we're able to merge segments on the page
> boundary;
> max_pfn = max_low_pfn indicates that we don't need bounce buffers;

This isn't complete. I suspect either (1) I'm missing something
fundamental or (2) this code is. It appears to make fundamental
assumptions about "isa" and "low memory" that are not necessarily
correct on non-peecees.

In addition to your bits, I needed to hack ll_rw_blk in order to
boot from an aic7xxx.

> - new scheduler
> [as usual, untested on SMP - anybody willing to give it a try? Peter?]

The following does *not* work on SMP. CPU1 segfaults because
context_switch is called with next=NULL. I've not yet figured
out what I'm missing in the smp setup. Ingo, is there anything
obvious?

> new smp_migrate_task IPI; more or less obvious compile fixes.

Given the nature of the ipi, I prefer to streamline this
particular cross-call like so.

> - syscall "optimization"
> several fields of task_struct have been squeezed to bytes,
> so this required byte `xchg' - fortunately my old patch for
> 8 and 16 bit atomic `xchg' came in handy. :-)

Nope. The xchg thing no longer works. Look at the x86 code.

Your xchg hack is still cool, and should go in, but it is not
needed here.

r~