Re: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]

From: SpaceWalker (spacewalker@altern.org)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 11:32:34 EST

Stuart Young wrote:

> At 11:05 PM 4/11/01 -0500, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Stuart Young wrote:
> >
> > > Any reason we can't move all the process info into something like
> > > /proc/pid/* instead of in the root /proc tree?
> >
> >Thanks, but no thanks. If we are starting to move stuff around, we
> >would be much better off leaving in /proc only what it was supposed
> >to contain - per-process information.

We could add a file into /proc like /proc/processes that contains once
all process informations that some programs like top or ps can read only
Once.
It could save a lot of time in kernel mode scanning the process list for
each process.
later, a new version of ps or top could simply stat /proc/processes and
if it exists uses it to give informations to the user.
What do you think of this idea ?

SpaceWalker

spacewalker@altern.org
ICQ 36157579