Re: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]

From: Stephen Satchell (satch@concentric.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 17:53:54 EST

At 09:11 PM 11/4/01 +0100, Jakob Østergaard wrote:
> > > I don't dislike one-value-files - please tell me how you get type
> > > information
> >
> > Using a ioctl that returns the type.
>
>But that's not pretty :)
>
>Can't we think of something else ?

I absolutely love how people want to re-invent the wheel. If you want
typed access (both read AND write) in a version-independent manner, then
you really need to take a look at Simple Network Management Protocol, or
SNMP. It has everything you want: named access, types, binary data or
ASCII data or whatever data, and the ability for vendor, distribution, and
version differences to be caught quickly and easily. As new stuff is added
or changed, all you need is a replacement MIB to be able to use the stuff.

Furthermore, SNMP is script friendly in that access to the data can be
automated, with all conversions being done in userspace.

Finally, SNMP works over networks.

There are many, many security issues surrounding SNMP, but at least it
exists, is well-understood, is already implemented in multiple systems, and
it WORKS.

Why invent yet another replacement for sysctl?

My pair-o-pennies(tm) to this discussion...

Satch