Re: %u-order allocation failed

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 15:13:03 EST

>OK, but my patch uses vmalloc only as a fallback when buddy fails. The
>probability that buddy fails is small. It is slower but with very small
>probability.
>
>It is perfectly OK to have a bit slower access to task_struct with
>probability 1/1000000.
>
>But it is ***BAD*BUG*** if allocation of task_struct fails with
>probability 1/1000000.

I missed the beginning of the thread, sorry if that question was
already answered,

What about all the code that still consider kmalloc'ed memory is
safe for use with virt_to_bus and friends and is contiguous
physically for DMA ? In some cases (non-PCI devices, embedded
platforms, etc...), the pci_consistent API is not an option.
That means that __GFP_VMALLOC can't be part of GFP_KERNEL or
many driver will break in horrible ways (random memory corruption).

Ben.