Re: 3ware discontinuing the Escalade Series

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:56:39 EST

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:52:59PM -0400, rugolsky@ead.dsa.com wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 09:09:40AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 02:19:42PM -0400, Jason Giglio wrote:
> > > 3ware has decided to discontinue their escalade series IDE RAID controller
> > > cards. The drivers were open source and in the kernel tree.
> >
> > OK, this sucks because I like those cards a lot. Before I go out and
> > stock up on a bunch of them, is there anything else out there that works
> > as well and is supported by Linux?
>
> Not that I know of; the other cards just don't seem to scale as well.
> What a shame.

I personally don't use teh 3ware raid features at all, I use the card
as a high performance interface to 4 drives and do my own backups
(I mirror each disk to /nightly, /weekly, and /monthly which is kind
of neat because you can do "$ diff foo.c /nightly/$PWD" and it works,
saves a lot of headaches).

Are there decent alternatives if all you want is a high performance
JBOD controller?

--
---