Failure to get login prompt - after compiled 2.4.10

From: Lamar Seifuddin (lamarts@flash.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 17:55:35 EST

All,

I compiled the 2.4.10 linux kernel on my Compaq Armada E700 P-III
where RedHat 7.1 - 2.4.2-2 was located.

I followed the directions using the "newbie" url

http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/index.php3#compile.xml

after several shots at it (more or less refining the type of configuration),
I was successful at creating a bzImage file.....loaded it......etc.

After rebooting the pc, I can't seem to get back to the login page.
It's a black screen. I'm sure I have to check the graphics configuration.

Question: How do I get back to some sort of prompt, so I can recompile
the kernel again?

thank you,

Lamar