Re: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 08:11:58 EST

CaT <cat@zip.com.au> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:15:01AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > I have days when I'm frustrated by the size of both glibc and the
> > linux kernel. stripped both the linux kernel and glibc are comparable
> > in size. Though I think the 400KB of compressed glibc-2.1.2 is
> > actually smaller than the kernel for the most part. I have to strip
> > off practically everthing to get a useable bzImage under 400KB.
> >
> > So any good ideas on how to get the size of linux down?
>
> Mind if I ask why you need a bzimage under 400kb? Just curious as I've
> never had the need. (And I can see needing it less then 1.4meg - are you
> trying to get a kernel AND a ramdisk on the one floppy?)

floppies have lots of room.

I'd like to get a kernel, ramdisk, and some hw initialization code all
on a 256KB ROM. I have my ramdisk down to about 14KB compressed. I
have my hw initialization code down to 32KB uncompressed (and I might
be able to reduce that further). So I want something like a 192KB
(compressed) linux kernel.

If I had that some of the hard problems of with linuxBIOS would just
drop away.

Eric