Re: [POT] Which journalised filesystem ? (fwd)

From: Clemens Schwaighofer (cs@pixelwings.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 08:41:25 EST

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 03:38:55 PM +0200
From: Clemens Schwaighofer <cs@pixelwings.com>
To: Dave Jones <davej@suse.de>
Subject: Re: [POT] Which journalised filesystem ?

Hello Dave Jones

--On Wednesday, October 03, 2001 02:54:17 PM +0200 you wrote:

> Alan mentioned this was something to do with the IBM hard disk
> having strange write-cache properties that confuse ext3.
> I'm not sure if this has been fixed or not yet, but its enough
> to make me think twice about trying it on the vaio for a while.

I used it succesfully on a VAIO notebook (2.4.10 + ext3) and I had no
troubles. But I had that notebook only for a week, so I couldn't do any
extensible tests, the only thing I did, was cutting the power and seeing if
it recovers. and it did. fast and without problems.

but to the point of that thread. we had reiser FS on a production server
(Fileserver for NFS, Samba & Appletalk) and we nothing but troubles. It was
an 2.2.16 kernel and i dunno witch reiserfs we used. But from this point
forward I dun think I will use it again soon on a production server.

--
"Freiheit ist immer auch die Freiheit des Andersdenkenden"
Rosa Luxemburg, 1871 - 1919

-- "Freiheit ist immer auch die Freiheit des Andersdenkenden" Rosa Luxemburg, 1871 - 1919 mfg, Clemens Schwaighofer PIXELWINGS Medien AG Kandlgasse 15/5, A-1070 Wien T: [+43 1] 524 58 50 JETZT NEU! MIT FEWA GEWASCHEN --> http://www.pixelwings.com - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/