Re: VM: Bad swap entry 0044cb00

From: Hugh Dickins (hugh@veritas.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 07:59:31 EST

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.8ac10 to 2.4.9ac2 some hours ago and I found
> the following message in my syslog file (I've never seen something like
> this before):
>
> Aug 27 22:40:46 r063144 kernel: VM: Bad swap entry 0044cb00
>
> What does this mean (my machine seems to run fine)?

If you only get such a message occasionally, it probably indicates
some race in the swapin code; probably not a new problem, but one now
made more visible by Rik's vm_swap_full swap deletion (as Alan hinted).
The race may well be benign.

But I'm guessing: I ought to understand this, but I don't.

The message I would expect you to get occasionally is the equivalent
message from swap_duplicate(), but that would be differently worded
("Unused swap offset entry in swap_dup 0044cb00"). The one you see
either comes from __swap_free() or from get_swaphandle_info():
I wonder which?

If you're still getting such messages, please let me know and
I'll send a test patch to make the message more informative.

Is this an SMP machine?

Hugh