aic7899 problems

From: Gergely Madarasz (gorgo@thunderchild.debian.net)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 07:55:26 EST

Hello,

the error message is like this:

scsi0:0:3:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
scsi0:0:3:0: Cmd aborted from QINFIFO
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:3:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
scsi0:0:3:0: Cmd aborted from QINFIFO
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:3:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
(scsi0:A:3:0): Queuing a recovery SCB
scsi0:0:3:0: Device is disconnected, re-queuing SCB
Recovery code sleeping
Recovery code awake
Timer Expired
aic7xxx_abort returns 8195

lots of these messages. the same happens on scsi0:0:4:0, scsi0:0:5:0 and
scsi0:0:9:0, then I get ext2 and I/O errors. I have 4 of these machines
(ibm netfinity 5100), running for several weeks now as http proxies, and
sometimes they crash (3 from 4 have crashed so far at least once, this is
the first time I have logs from the beginning of the crash). The kernel is
stock 2.4.7. On another machine (netfinity 7100, aic7896) I couldn't boot
stock 2.4.9 because I got these messages right after the boot, the old aic
driver worked though. I'm puzzled because the 5100's worked perfectly for
almost a month. What should I try?

--
Madarasz Gergely   gorgo@thunderchild.debian.net   gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                  HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/