Re: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 16:32:40 EST

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:12:33AM +0400, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> > The main reason to include it, is that that's what it was done in.
> > If you go back and read the archives, ESR goes over why all sorts of
> > other languages wouldn't work as easily.
>
> in such cases the solution is to elaborate, and not to
> leave things to decay.

Well, the flames finally died down and everyone forgot about it again
for a while.

> > That wasn't my point at all. My point was that if you're somehow
> > transfering the 21mb source .tar.bz2'ed, you can also stand to transport
> > the 4mb of python 2.0.1 source, tar.gz'ed over as well. In other words,
> > having to bring python over any of the methods that Jes mentioned isn't
> > any more painful than the kernel source. It's roughly the size of a couple
> > of vmlinux'es.
> i was sarcastic here. actually the fact is that
> 4MB of tarred sources is more than 10 .c files
> doing the same thing 1.5x times faster.

Where'd you get 1.5x from? :) But, go ahead and re-write the CML2 engine
in C. There's been some work done on this. A few people (Al Viro?) even
said that if this got into 2.5 they'd do a 'C' version. Many many months
ago, if i recall correctly.

> > Have you tried cml2 on your p166? ESR went and did much speed tweaking of
> > the code about 6 months ago it seems like and managed to please some of the
> > people using a low-end pentium. Building a kernel on a 386 isn't approcaching
> > tolerable right now anyhow. Someone pointed out today or yesterday it takes
> > ~10 days.
> it is not an excuse to make things even worser.

It shouldn't be a consideration at all. I'd go as far as to say any sort of
speed bonus on a 486 is gravy. In other words, how fast something will be
on 10 year old hardware shouldn't be important (I'm speaking of 386 with
10 years.)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/