Re: Quantum DLT 4000 issues

From: Thorsten Kranzkowski (dl8bcu@dl8bcu.de)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 14:43:15 EST

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:22:39PM +0530, Ajit Jena wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need your expert advice on the following issue:
>
> I saw some messages on the Linux kernel mailing list about DLT 4000
> tape drives.
>
> We have a Quantum DLT 4000 1/15 drive connected to an HP9000 system.
> This is a SCSI device connected on the Wide SCSI port. I have all kinds
> of driver problems on the HP system. My tar backups abort randomly saying
> media error.

Did you check new cartriges? Media errors indicate defective tape material.
Maybe use a cleaning tape.

> I was wondering if I can connect the same drive to a Linux box having
> wide SCSI interface. Do u think this is a workable proposition ? What
> extra hardware/software I need to procure ? Please advise.

It should work just fine as an ordinary /dev/st* device. We have a DLT
drive with a small (5 cartriges) loader system running at work. I think
it's also a Quantum.

> Thanks for your time.
>
> Regards.
>
> --ajit

Bye,
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski        Internet: dl8bcu@dl8bcu.de                      |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134       Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |