Re: releasing driver to kernel in source+binary format

From: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ignacio@openservices.net)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 13:16:06 EST

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, MEHTA,HIREN (A-SanJose,ex1) wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> We want to release a linux scsi hba-driver for our fibre-channel
> HBAs and make it part of the kernel source tree. Because of IP
> related issues, we can only release one part of the sources with
> GPL. We want to release the other part in the binary format (.o)
> as a library which needs to be linked with the first part.
> If somebody can advise me on how to go about this, I would
> appreciate it.
>
> I went through the "SubmittingDrivers" file
> which does not talk about this kind of special cases.
>
> Regards,
> -hiren
> Agilent Technologies.

It's probably just easier to supply a non-GPLed binary-only driver. Realize,
though, that if you have any sort of binary-only driver in any way, there are
those who will a) refuse to buy or use your product(s), and b) persuade others
to do the same.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio@openservices.net>