Re: 2.4.4 Kernel - ASUS CUV4X-DLS Question

From: Ken Brownfield (brownfld@irridia.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 17:07:39 EST

I'm losing the timer interrupt, but it's not driver-specific -- only the
motherboard is required to reproduce for me; different SCSI, RAID, and
ether drivers have been swapped out. Nothing with "HP" on it seems to
work, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that HP's
stuff is broken. But this problem has existed since 2.4.0-test1 and
hasn't changed, and it surprises me that at least a work-around hasn't
been merged into "the" kernel by now.

There might be fixes in the -ac tree that effect my problem -- I'll try
the latest -ac and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

But the distributions use _the_ kernel. Even if -ac is fixed, it's not
really something I would be willing to put in production. Until I found
the noapic work-around, we were basically going to have to move off of
Linux. I could very well be an isolated case, but the APIC issues I'm
seeing scare me, and not just for my sake.

I mean all of this in the utmost respect -- I just felt that this issue
needs a little more light shed on it, and I'm here to help in any way I
can.

--
Ken.