Re: filp_open() in 2.2.19 causes memory corruption

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 15:44:21 EST

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 10:24:55PM +0200, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Are you sure the trace is decoded correctly?
>
> > CPU: 0
> > EIP: 0010:[sys_mremap+31/884]
> > EFLAGS: 00010206
>
> > Code: ac ae 75 08 84 c0 75 f8 31 c0 eb 04 19 c0 0c 01 85 c0 75 d9
> ac ae is
> lodsb
> scasb
>
> Could you run
> #objdump --disassemble-all --reloc linux/mm/mremap.o | less
>
> and check that the code is really at offset 31 of sys_mremap?
>
> And is it correct that only 64 MB memory is installed/enabled?
>
> --
> Manfred

Manfred,

This is what's being reported when I produce the oops. I think we have
memory corruption somewhere, which explains the funky code offsets. It's
easy to reproduce. Call filp_open with the handle table I gave you
on a single IDE system with **NO** tape drive in the system, and it
crashes quite after the module is loaded the fisrt time, then unloaded,
and reloaded a second time. The oops happens on the second insmod
of the module. I can provide you the actual module itself built with
all the code if you want to reproduce it.

It's 100% reproduceable.

Jeff