Re: Request for comment -- a better attribution system

From: Matthew Kirkwood (matthew@hairy.beasts.org)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 05:22:11 EST

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Alan, if MAINTAINERS scaled perfectly I wouldn't have had to spend
> three months just trying to figure out who was reponsible for each of
> the [Cc]onfig.in files. And even with that amount of effort mostly
> failing.

I have a much simpler proposal, which appears to solve your
immediate problem, and would keep most people happy -- add a:

C: CONFIG_SCSI_BLARG

tag to MAINTAINERS. If you _really_ insist, add an:

F: drivers/scsi/blarg.c
F: drivers/scsi/blarg.h

too. It removes the ambiguity inherent in the current system,
without adding an overengineered solution with no obvious
advantages.

Matthew.