supermount ?

From: Gerry (gerry@c64.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 17:21:07 EST

I recently upgraded my kernel to version 2.4.2, with no problems at all,
except one: supermount. I guess you already know that supermount haven't been
upgraded to support 2.4.2 or even 2.4 yet, and i guess there's nothing to do
about that but wait. But that's not why i'm writing this.

Supermount sounds to me like a very important part of linux, at least for us
who like our cds/dvds/etc. to work as easily as in fx. windows. For linux to
be popular among "normal" users, it should be present at every system with
local removable drives. So, my question is; why isn't supermount a standard
part of the kernel, or at least a module ?

Right now i have to use autofs to manage automounting, but there's several
problems with that (as it's aimed at use with network devices): Fx, it locks
my dvd/cdrw-drives every time they get mounted, so that eject isn't possible
until it gets unmounted. Floppy disks aren't updated until they're remounted.
Setting low timeouts doesn't help at this, since it doesn't seem to work that
well with local devices for some reason..

So, supermount is required even if autofs is included in the kernel, from my
point of view anyway. I'm sure there's many people out there like me :)

Any chance supermount will be a standard kernel module in the future ?

Gerry