Re: 3rd version of R/W mmap_sem patch available

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 18:35:44 EST

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Excellent point. We used to do all the looping and re-trying, but it got
> ripped out a long time ago (and in any case, it historically didn't do
> SMP, so the old code doesn't really work).

Actually, funnily enough, I see that the old thread-safe stuff is still
there in get_pte_kernel_slow(). The only thing that breaks it is that we
don't hold any locks, so it's only UP-safe, not SMP-safe.

However, it definitely looks like we should just un-inline that thing
completely, and make a lot of it architecture-independent anyway.

                Linus