Re: Is swap == 2 * RAM a permanent thing?

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski (g.liakhovetski@ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 10:21:56 EST

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> > "Rik van Riel wrote:"
> > > total usage == maximum(swap, ram)
> >
> > Does it mean that having swap<RAM you only lose some disk space ?
>
> If you actually "rely" on swap, yes.

Sorry, I also don't understand this. Take a plain simple situation - your
RAM is full, swap (which is < RAM) empty, you start (or try to) another
application - will it start? If yes - it means you already have
total > max(swap, RAM)
if you simply can't start another app in this situation - that'd be VERY
strange...

Guennadi

> If you usually don't swap but want to have it for "overflow"
> in some situations, or if only a few things end up on swap,
> then it's actually useful.
>
> regards,
>
> Rik
> --
> Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml
>
> Virtual memory is like a game you can't win;
> However, without VM there's truly nothing to lose...
>
> http://www.surriel.com/
> http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/
>
> -

___