Re: Inadequate documentation: sockets

From: Alessandro Baretta (alex@baretta.com)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 14:30:46 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > The manual specifies the following flag to be returned by the
> > kernel
> > [smip]
>
> The information is is not quite correct.
> [snip]

The information you gave me sounds interesting, but it is conflict
with the documentation. This was my original assertion: the
documentation on the subject is inadequate.

> > Finally I'm left with my original problem: how am I supposed to
> > detect a close or a shutdown from the peer?
>
> By EOF. No other way exists. POLLHUP is local condition, only
> local side can close connection in write direction. Exception
> is abort (reset) initiated by peer.

What do you mean by "local condition"? You surely do not mean that
the event which provokes the POLLHUP occours on my host? What
about a shutdown(sock, SHUT_RD) called by the peer?

> > by addressing me to more adequate documentation.
>
> UNIX98 and Austin draft pages. The are very ambiguous though.

Hmmmm....

Thank you very much!

Alex

P.S. Alexey, I meant this post to be for the list. The copy I sent
to you privately is my mistake.