Re: filesystem statistics

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolinux.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 13:54:28 EST

Andries Brouwer writes:
> Now that people are discussing the right hash function to use,
> and the amount of space taken by filenames in various schemes,
> I wondered how these things are on a random machine.
> Here some statistics.

Can you generate statistics on the number of files in each directory,
and the total size of each directory? For total directory size, it
may be useful to have not only size in kB and/or disk blocks, but also
the sum of raw dentry sizes as well, because directories always show
full block sizes.

This would also be helpful to determine how often indexing will be used
in an "average" system.

Cheers, Andreas