Re: [rfc] Near-constant time directory index for Ext2

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 17:47:01 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > You're right. However, for each hash table operation to be O(1) the size
> > of the hash table must be >> n.
>
> there's at least one kind of HT where the table starts small
> and gets bigger, but at trivial cost (memcpy). while those
> memcpy's are O(n) each time, it's a little misleading to treat
> them as costing the same as O(n) rehashing.

memcpy() isn't exactly trivial, especially not when we're talking about
disk storage. Note, too, that we're talking about storage in a
filesystem, and random access a large, growable linear space (i.e. a
file) in a filesystem is O(log n) because of necessary inode indirection.

That's yet another reason I like the idea of using B-trees over hash
values: B-trees are O(log n), but do not need the file inode indirection
to do the job, so what you end up with is very nice and fast.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt