Re: More on IO-APIC trouble

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 09:48:05 EST

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Igor Yanover wrote:

> Recently I came across two more things, that are possibly related to
> IO-APIC problems:
> 1)http://xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2001January/004751.html
> Someone with SMP that has problem with interrupt delivery (stuck
> interrupt). Only in SMP mode and this is not NE2000 related.

 I've already talked to the guy. Some software reprograms the 8254 timer
to a weird mode (one-shot, IIRC; I have full details if anyone wants to
work on it). I suspect XFree86 to be at fault.

> 2)http://developer.intel.com/software/idap/media/pdf/copy.pdf ( Page 8
> footer)
> It turns out, that there's an errata in early Pentium III revisions,
> that could corrupt data written to IO-APIC. ( Only if SSE write is
> followed by an APIC write)

 We don't do SSE writes before APIC writes (they must mean the local APIC
-- I can't check the doc at the moment).