Re: 2.4.1 crashes every two days, oopses included

From: Martin Rode (Martin.Rode@programmfabrik.de)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 03:59:30 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Martin Rode wrote:
>
> > My last bug report did not seem to attract to much attention.
>
> > For now we have switched back to 2.2.18 which stays up for about
> > a week before it crashes because of the VM too.
>
> [snip]
> > VM: reclaim_page, wrong page on list.
> > VM: refill_inactive, wrong page on list.
> > Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00002208
>
> Since:
> 1. you see this kind of bug with both 2.2 and the completely
> changed 2.4 VM code and
> 2. this bug usually only happens when people have RAM problems,
>
> could you try running memtest86 on that machine to see if it indeed
> has memory errors or if the problem is coming from somewhere else ?

Hello Rik,

my maschine has spent the entire week-end running memtest86. It ran for
over 60 hours with all tests and it finished 3 passes with 0 errors.

Here's one more interesting aspect about the behaviour I'm seeing:

with 256 MB RAM:

<= 2.2.18: > 7 days, crashes randomly, no pattern.
>= 2.2.19pre2: 1 hour. Crashes as soon as I start hylafax daemon,
reproducable.

with 512 MB RAM

<= 2.2.18: same behaviour as with 2.4.1
2.4.1: Stands up 1 day, crashes as soon as arekeia has started the
backup (happend twice, second oopses included in my last mail)

Is there anything I can do? Is my problem kernel related? I believe
somehow it is. Is my maschine busted?

Any help appreciates

; Martin