Re: [PROBLEM] 2.4.1 can't mount ext2 CD-ROM

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 20:43:30 EST

On Sun, Feb 18 2001, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> > Strange. The twelve or so CD readers I have here are all
> > able to read 512-byte sectors. I am quite willing to believe
>
> I think most Plextor and Yamaha do, but it's not guaranteed to
> be supported. And it definitely won't for ATAPI with ide-scsi.
>
> Strange. I just used ATAPI with ide-scsi as test. It works.

Yeah it works because sr does read padding on drives that can't dish
out 512b sectors... This is my point.

> Setting hardsect_size to 2048 means: this hardware is unable
> to use smaller blocks, give an error to whoever asks for
> something smaller.

Which is the case for some drives. The error now occurs when ext2
forcibly tries to set the block size.

> Not setting hardsect_size at all means: I have no idea what this
> hardware can do. Now it is up to the user. If the user tries
> something the hardware cannot do, she will get EIO.
> Limiting the user in advance is a bad idea.

Ok agreed, just forcing 2048 is a bit harsh but it was nicer than
letting sr bomb on 512b requests at the time.

--
Jens Axboe