Re: SO_SNDTIMEO: 2.4 kernel bugs

From: Chris Evans (chris@scary.beasts.org)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 14:25:53 EST

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > Unfortunately, I discovered a bug with SO_SNDTIMEO/sendfile():
>
> None of the options apply to sendfile(). It is not socket level
> operation. You have to use alarm for it.

Hi Alexey,

Actually sendfile() _does_ timeout using SO_SNDTIMEO. It just takes longer
to timeout because the kernel sendfile() page loop will (usually) need to
timeout a short write, and then timeout a 0 byte write.

So the actual timeout would be 2 * SO_SNDTIMEO.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing timeout at (I think) 3 * SO_SNDTIMEO, which I
can't account for.

Cheers
Chris