Serverworks HE quad Xeon: strange network lockups

From: Emil Briggs (emil@baymountain.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 21:12:06 EST

We just got a SuperMicro S2QE6 which is a quad
Xeon motherboard using the Serverworks HE chipset.
It has onboard ethernet (Intel 82559). After installing
Redhat 6.2 the Ethernet stopped working with the
message "eth0: card reports no resources"

>From what I have seen there is nothing that unusual
with this and the 82559. What is strange is that the
network starts working again if you type something on
the keyboard. This is 100% repeatable -- don't type
on the keyboard and the ethernet freezes up with the no
resources message in a few minutes. Touch the keyboard
and it starts working again immediately.

I'm going to update the kernel and see if that fixes the
issue but it struck me as a rather unusual problem.

Regards
Emil Briggs