Re: Linux stifles innovation...

From: Dennis (dennis@etinc.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 14:08:40 EST

At 05:20 PM 02/16/2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > For example, if there were six different companies that marketed ethernet
> > drivers for the eepro100, you'd have a choice of which one to buy..perhaps
> > with different "features" that were of value to you. Instead, you have
> > crappy GPL code that locks up under load, and its not worth spending
>
>Umm I find the driver very reliable. And actually I have choice of two
>eepro100 drivers eepro100.c and e100.c so you cant even pick an example.

both lock up under load. You dont run a busy ISP i guess. The fact that
they come out with a new release every few minutes is clear evidence that
it is problematic.

Intel doesnt sell the e100.o driver, so they couldnt give a rats ass if it
doesnt perform. Note that the DO sell the drivers for other platforms, and
they support them, a win for the other platforms.

DB

Emerging Technologies, Inc.

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/T3/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
Multiport T1 and HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Management Standalone Systems
Bandwidth Management software for LINUX and FreeBSD