Re: Is this the ultimate stack-smash fix?

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 09:43:30 EST

  [Manfred Spraul]
> > Unless you modify the ABI and pass the array bounds around you won't
> > catch such problems,

[Eric W. Biederman]
> Of course. But this is linux and you have the source. And I did
> mention you needed to recompile the libraries your trusted
> applications depended on.

So by what ABI do you propose to pass array bounds to a called
function? It sounds pretty ugly. It also sounds like you will be
breaking the extremely useful C postulate that, at the ABI level at
least, arrays and pointers are equivalent. I can't see *how* you plan
to work around that one.

> Yep bounds checking is not an easy fix.

Understatement of the year, if you really want to catch all cases.

Peter