Asus CUV4X-D mobo

From: David D.W. Downey (pgpkeys@hislinuxbox.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 03:40:09 EST

Well, once again, VIA chipsets cause havok. The Asus CUV4X-D
VIA694XDP/VT82C686B chipset. The southbridge (686b) could NOT see
it's way clear to understand what my hard drives' geometry was.

Kept getting LI every single reboot. Put the drives back on the Promise
PDC20267 ATA100 controller and things worked just fine.

The APIC errors are gone and things have settled down with the drives
working fine @ UDMA5. (hdparm -A1 -c1 -d1 -X69 /dev/hd#). Average disk
speed is 32MB/s with no data corruption.

Has anyone else experienced problems with this specific motherboard and
the VIA chipset? I'm interested in folks using the 2.4.1-ac1# kernel or
pristine 2.4.1 + 3.20 via82cxxx patch.

I'm also wondering if the 1/09/2001 BIOS this board has is known to have
translation problems with Western Digital drives (specifically the
WDC300BB00-UA1-A 30GB 7200 RPM EIDE drives) or if it's just this board.

BIOS reports CHS as being 1024x16x63+LBA.
hdparm -I /dev/hda reports CHS of 16383x16x63+LBA.
fdisk reports CHS as 58168x16x63+LBA

using neither what the drive reports or what fdisk sees as the CHS count
in BIOS stopped the reproducable (and irritating) LI error.

Switch to the Promise PDC20267 ATA100 offboard card, run lilo again and
bam, instant LILO.

Hope fully this is thorough enough. I've attached the lspci -vv output to
this email as well.

(I'm really starting to dislike this VT82C686 chipset. grrr)

---
David D.W. Downey - RHCE
Consulting Engineer
Ensim Corporation - Sunnyvale, CA