Re: x86 ptep_get_and_clear question

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 12:12:12 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > The other cpu writes the dirty bit - we just overwrite it ;-)
> > After the ptep_get_and_clear(), before the set_pte().
>
> Ah, I see. The other CPU does an atomic *pte |= _PAGE_DIRTY, without
> checking the present bit. ('scuse me for temporary brain failure).
>
> How about a pragmatic solution.

Ok, Is there one case were your pragmatic solutions is vastly faster?

* mprotect: No. The difference is at most one additional locked
instruction for each pte.

* munmap(anon): No. We must handle delayed accessed anyway (don't call
free_pages_ok() until flush_tlb_ipi returned). The difference is that we
might have to perform a second pass to clear any spurious 0x40 bits.

* munmap(file): No. Second pass required for correct msync behaviour.

* try_to_swap_out(): No. another memory read.

Any other cases?

> Ben, fancy writing a boot-time test?

I'd never rely on such a test - what if the cpu checks in 99% of the
cases, but doesn't handle some cases ('rep movd, everything unaligned,
...'. And check the Pentium III erratas. There is one with the tlb
that's only triggered if 4 instruction lie in a certain window and all
access memory in the same way of the tlb (EFLAGS incorrect if 'andl
mask,<memory_addr>' causes page fault)).

--
	Manfred