Re: mke2fs and kernel VM issues

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 06:05:48 EST

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Samuel Flory wrote:

> What is believed to be the current status of the typical mke2fs
> crashes/hangs due to vm issues? I can reliably reproduce the issue on a
> heavily modifed VA kernel based on 2.2.18. Is there a kernel which is
> believed to be a known good kernel? (both 2.2.x and 2.4.x)

I can mke2fs (successfully) on a 270G block device. Yes, of course, I also
get various page allocation failures while this happens but they are not
deadly, i.e. the thing (our volume manager) just retries until it works
and after a while I have a valid (and a very big) ext2 filesystem with 0
processes killed.

The kernel I use is 2.4.2-pre3. The machine has 6G RAM with the 3G given
to kernel virtual. The amount of swap is massive (2G) but it is never
used.

Regards,
Tigran