Re: A question about memory fragmentation

From: Davide Libenzi (davidel@xmail.virusscreen.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 11:58:26 EST

On Tue, 07 Nov 2000, Erik Mouw wrote:

> > Is the kernel memory fragmentation a solved problem in Linux? (I wish it).
>
> My guess is that the slab allocator solves this, but I don't know that
> much about the MM.

Linux lists implementation stores linking informations directly inside the
block of data We're going to link.
This has the advantage that no extra list nodes are allocated to store the data
pointer but has the drawback that if We've to link the same data to more than
one list We've to declare more than one listhead.
See at the different links We've inside the task_struct for example.

- Davide