Re: A question about memory fragmentation

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@ITS.TUDelft.NL)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 10:33:25 EST

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 04:20:20PM +0100, Abel Muņoz Alcaraz wrote:
> I have a question for you; How Linux avoids the memory fragmentation in
> linked lists?
>
> Windows 9x/NT/2000 (sorry, ;-)), have specific functions (like List_Create,
> ExInitializeSListHead, ...) to create generic linked lists but I don't find
> something similar in Linux.
> Has Linux a generic linked list management API ?

Yes.

> Must I develop this?

No.

> Is the kernel memory fragmentation a solved problem in Linux? (I wish it).

My guess is that the slab allocator solves this, but I don't know that
much about the MM.

> I have develop my own API but I don't know if Linux can do this for me.

Have a look in include/linux/list.h.

Or install jadetex and the DocBook style sheets and type "make psdocs"
in the kernel tree. That will create the file
Documentation/DocBook/kernel-api.ps in which the linked list API (and
much more) is described.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl