Re: linux-2.4.0-test9

From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 03:20:49 EST

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:12:31PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> But if you are going to eliminate info->vxi_base, it seems like that
> would flush out all direct de-refs, whether they are buried in an
> obscure macro or not. And if you find all that crap, you might as well
> use readb/writel at that point...
>
> info->registers[0x7FF] = newvalue;
> becomes
> writel(newvalue, &info->registers[0x7FF]);
> and
> regval = info->registers[0x7FF];
> becomes
> regval = readl(&info->registers[0x7FF]);

Wasn't this the clean and recommended interface anyway?
(ref. IO-mapping.txt:150)

I hope this will be kept, because virtually all devices map[1] their
registers continously starting at a base address. It's easy to
access for the driver writer and easy to decode for the device.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

[1] If they don't map it in IO space, which I know is differently
   accessed on some architectures.

--
Feel the power of the penguin - run linux@your.pc
<esc>:x