Re: Need info on the use of certain datastructures and the first C++ keyword patch for 2.2.17

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 09:08:13 EST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:02:38 +0000 (GMT),
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> As part of the 2.5 kbuild redesign, symbol versions will be completely
>> redone. One of the things on my todo list is to detect this mismatch.
>> There are some problems in doing that which I may or may not be able to
>> overcome, but if the field names are different between C and C++ then I
>> can never detect this mismatch correctly.
>
>The symbol generation code never sees the C++ names, never will and never can.
>I still don't see any problem.

2.4 symbol generation code never sees the C++ names, 2.5 code might.
To detect a mismatch between kernel headers and the module version
file, I have to generate the checksum for the consumer of the symbol
(C++) as well as the generator of the symbol (C) and compare them.

There are issues involving partially defined structures which might
make this impossible to do, although I have some ideas on that front.
But if kernel code uses C names and module code uses C++ names there
will always be a spurious mismatch. That would prevent symbol versions
from picking up some user errors.