Re: Linux's implementation of poll() not scalable?

From: Dave Zarzycki (dave@thor.sbay.org)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 01:08:39 EST

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> where you say "I want an array of pending events, and I have an array you
> can fill with up to 'maxnr' events - and if you have no events for me,
> please sleep until you get one, or until 'tmout'".
>
> The above looks like a _really_ simple interface to me. Much simpler than
> either select() or poll(). Agreed?

Totally. I've been wanting an API like this in user-space for a long time.

One question about "int bind_event(int fd, struct event *event)"

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you seperate out fd from the event
structure. Why not just "int bind_event(struct event *event)"

The only thing I might have done differently is allow for multiple event
queues per process, and the ability to add event queues to event
queues. But these features might not be all that useful in real life.

Hmmm... It might be cute if you could do something like this:

int num_of_resulting_events;
int r, q = open("/dev/eventq");
struct event interested_events[1024];
struct event events_that_happened[1024];

/* fill up interested_event_array */

write(q, interested_events, sizeof(interested_events));
r = read(q, events_that_happened, sizeof(events_that_happened));
num_of_resulting_events = r / sizeof(struct event);

davez

--
Dave Zarzycki
http://thor.sbay.org/~dave/