Re: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:09:31 EST

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> Hi Linus,
> unfortunately, this does not explain problem I reported. In my case,
> underlying fs is ext2, and there is no locking around - only one task
> does ftruncate() on (big) shareable mapped file (original code does it to
> prevent dirty pages to be written to disk after their contents is no
> longer relevant).

Yes. Yours is a separate problem, and is not due to invalidate_pages() at
all, but apparently due to truncate_complete_page().

Basically, all the same old arguments do apply - we cannot just remove the
page from the page cache if it is mapped.

Now, the truncate() case is different, because the code _tries_ to also
zap the actual mappings. The fact that it fails to do so is a bit
unnerving, actually.

I'll take a better look at the truncate case (I consider the invalidate
case closed). Do you have a simple test-program around?

                Linus