Re: Topic for discussion: OS Design

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 23:32:32 EST

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 09:56:52PM -0600, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:
> [snip]
> > crossing memory protection domains is slow, there's no way around
> > it (except better hardware).
>
> So what we really need to do is get some custom "RAM blitter" into our
> hardware to do the memory copies needed for fast context switching and message
> passing.
>
> Too bad nobody on this list works at an electronics design company... ;-P

Dwayne,

Why don't you get with the C++ guy on the list talking about C++ kernels,
Eray Ozkural (erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr) and the two of you design a processor
that's optimized to run C++ with 0 overhead memory protection (3 clocks max
to go through a ring 3 -> 0 gate). Who knows? Maybe you could design
a new processor for us to use that just implements two super RISC
instructions, 'set bugs off' and 'do what I'm thinking'.

:-)

Jeff